Hailing from New Zealand and based in Hong Kong, Daniel Kamp is a designer and artist with a practice spanning furniture, objects and interiors.
Kamp’s diverse projects are anchored by a consistent sculptural simplicity, characterised by minimal forms and raw materials. The designer sees this signature aesthetic as a result of his fascination with intersections - between art and design, object and space, nature and humanity.
At just 27 years of age, Kamp’s work has received awards and featured in important cultural publications all around the world, including Habitus, Elle and Design Boom. He has created and exhibited works throughout the Asia Pacific for gallery shows, commercial projects, and individual commissions. In addition to objects and spaces created for a specific purpose, many of Kamp’s pieces are made simply for exploration and expression.
In 2015 Daniel Kamp was awarded ‘Emerging Designer’ from the Designer’s Institute of New Zealand. The following year his project ‘Hideaway Chair’ won Platinum at the prestigious International A’Design Awards in Italy. In 2017 American Express named him one of 10 young designers to watch from around the world.
- Hong Kong: Design Pier, ‘The Chair’. Hong Kong Art Week, Lanson Place Hotel. Group Show, 2019
- Hong Kong: First Initiative Foundation, ‘The Art of Music’. Tai Kwun. Group Show, 2018
- Hong Kong: Asia Contemporary Art Fair. Group Show, curated by Nido Asia, 2018.
- Columbia: Metropolitan Institute of Technology Medellin, ‘Abira’. Key Note Talk, 2017
- Japan: Seed Bed Gallery. Group Show, curated by An Astute Assembly, 2016
- Singapore: Maison Objet Singapore. Group Show, curated by Seventhirtyam, 2015
- New Zealand: Massey University of Wellington, ‘Design Symposium’. Key Note Talk, 2015
- New Zealand: Whakatane Museum and Research Center. Group Show. 2014
- New Zealand: The Dowse Art Museum. Group Show. 2014
Habitus, Design Boom, Elle, Ignant, Gessato, Airows, Contemporist, The Design Chaser.
- International A'Design Award and Competition: Platinum - Furniture Category. 2016
- Best Awards, Designers Institute of New Zealand: Silver - Spatial Design. 2016
- Best Awards, Designers Institute of New Zealand: Silver - Emerging Designer. 2015
- Best Awards, Designers Institute of New Zealand: Silver - Spatial Design. 2015
- Best Awards, Designers Institute of New Zealand: Bronze - Spatial Design. 2015
- Innovation and Excellence in Design - Victoria university 2012